Why do we believe what we believe?

So I just had a thought brought up by someone. I won't get into details why, but pretty much it's a questioning of my beliefs about stuff. Stuff like, "why is playing with 'supposed' demonic things dangerous?" and "why do I believe that following Jesus the best way for the non-eternal portion of our lives as well as for the ONLY way for the eternal?"

Truly, I have no intention of recanting ANY of my beliefs on these things EVER, but my answer to those questions is really only a very weak "because it's what I've always believed." There is no valid why, really. And I really want there to be.

Thoughts? Not that I won't stop believing this way, but in all sincerity, why should I keep on believing this way?

Until Jesus returns exactly how he said he would and proves himself to every agnostic, atheist, Christian and other, we'll just have to take him and his word by faith. Is that all we have to go on then? Faith?

I just had a thought..and a prayer. Only one person truly knows what I'm thinking. Probably even more-so than I do. I don't even know what I'm thinking, but he sure does. And the prayer is that he would show me exactly how to approach people who make me question my beliefs with his own power enough to convince them that he truly is the way. And that would be HIS power, because if it were my own..well then we couldn't give him credit for any of it.

More to think on I guess.

Here's a quick idea to get perspective: I'm thinking of these questions while looking in from the viewpoint of a non-Christian. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that I am not a Christian. I'm saying that I'm looking at the issue AS IF I was not. Basically, how does the other guy think? Why doesn't he believe me?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I think that people questioning us is a good thing! In fact, it's a great thing! I love it when people ask me questions or challenge me on something. It pushes me to study and pray more to find out exactly what God's Word says on the subject. Why DO I believe that?

    1 Peter 3:15 tells us to ALWAYS BE READY to answer someone's questions. That means we have to spend a lot of time finding the answers before we are even asked the question. I admit, I am ashamed that I don't do this as much as I should! Our answer has to be more than, "Well, that's what I've always been taught." Or, "Because Dad, Mom, or Pastor said so." It has to be REAL and personal! Else they won't believe a word we say. If it isn't important enough for us to be passionate about it, then why should they be interested? Why should they believe a word we're saying?

    As for why we should believe the way we do - because there is no other way to believe! There is no other way to find purpose and fulfillment in life. "I am THE WAY, THE TRUTH, and THE LIFE." That's all. He said it, we believe it. And our faith in believing what we cannot see grows when we witness the truth of what His Word says come to pass in our own lives!

    But there is this one other thing: The truth of this will NEVER make sense to us (or to the person we're talking to) unless the Holy Spirit opens the eyes of our hearts to understand all of this. But once the understanding comes - WOW!! There will be no doubt as to why I believe in the power of the God of the Universe!!!

    Sorry this got so long...but you asked! :)

    ~ALG~

    ReplyDelete

Comment loud, comment often. But comment on the content!

All comments are filtered through to my email, so your spam will never make it. Unless, of course, you wanted to try injection attacks into my email, which would probably not happen since Blogger just tells me that a comment is awaiting moderation and doesn't bother to tell me what it says. I trust Blogger like that..