Garfield!!

A long time ago, I discovered that Jim Davis, the author of Garfield comics, syndicates his stuff with uComics. An interesting, and probably well-known, fact is that uComics actually stores the images from a particular cartoon in a fairly friendly directory structure! At least, they do with Garfield comics. So I was able to do some back-door hacks and write a simple little script that would in essence harvest Garfield comics directly from uComics.

Apart from being able to download a year's worth at a time (any more would probably kill my computer and the web host), I also was able to create a script that would grab today's Garfield comic and display it with general navigation buttons to yesterday..or really any day since it was first begun in 1978.

Anyhow, I have been hosting this script on both my personal web server and on Brinkster. Today, I 'upgraded' my script, cloning it to a new page which is embed-friendly:

The fun of an embed page is that I can put the proper code into any webpage that accepts HTML and this will display these comics inline!

So, to embed Garfield on YOUR website/blog, simple paste the following into anything that accepts HTML (on Blogger, this is an HTML/Javascript widget).

<iframe src="http://ppsstudios.brinkster.net/TodaysGarfield_Simple.asp" frameborder=0 width=100% height=240px>Your browser does not support iframe.</iframe>


If all goes well, you should see a floating box with the comic and a few links displayed right on your page (such as the one in the footer below)!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I just managed to hack Calvin and Hobbes too! Now to write a script for -that- :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. It seems that Calvin and Hobbes only makes their comics available through the past month. Ah well. I managed to get a script working for that. I just wished enough were available so that I could get them all without waiting 10 years per round.

    ReplyDelete

Comment loud, comment often. But comment on the content!

All comments are filtered through to my email, so your spam will never make it. Unless, of course, you wanted to try injection attacks into my email, which would probably not happen since Blogger just tells me that a comment is awaiting moderation and doesn't bother to tell me what it says. I trust Blogger like that..